Technology is being innovated and implemented faster than we can keep up! This is a major reason why consumers are constantly looking for better deals and better technology from their wireless mobile cell phone service provider. As the technology grows up, the pricing of obsolete and older technology goes down. Therefore a constant turnover of customers and accounts is expected. When upgrading your phone or switching service providers, one should definitely do some research to find the best deals and technology.
So you are looking to upgrade your current wireless plan, or you are considering switching your service to a different wireless provider. Here are the top 5 things that you should consider before you make the move to change your mobile cell phone plan:
1. Contract or No Contract – All of the major cell phone service providers in the US offer their version of contract and no contract plans. It is important to decide which option is right for your particular situation. A contract plan usually lasts for 2 years. When purchasing a 2 year contract plan, the major wireless carriers will usually offer a brand new cell phone for free in exchange for the 2 years of service that you are promising to fulfill. The price of the “free” phone is calculated into the service plan, and you end up paying for the phone anyways. This option is superior if you need a new phone right away. The other option is to go with a no contact plan. When going with a no contract plan, the wireless carrier does not usually offer extravagant deals on new cellular devices. Long story short, you end up paying almost full price for your wireless mobile cell phone. There are a handful of companies out there that will allow you to bring your own device to a no contract wireless service plan. Bringing your own device will allow you to take advantage of the lower pricing of a no contract plan without having to buy a phone.
2. Coverage Map – It is very important to look at the service coverage maps from each of the different companies that you are looking at. There is no reason to go with a company that is going to give you a killer deal on a plan and a mobile cell phone when you are not going to be able to take full advantage of the service coverage area. Cell phones really are not of any good use when there is no service, or the service is weak and intermittent.
3. Data Speeds – There are now dozens of cellular networks that traverse the country, and many of them offer high speed data capabilities to the service coverage area. These networks consist of 3G, 4G, and LTE. It is very important that you take a peek at what networks each service provider is using, and to check the availability of these networks in your area. It is also a very good idea to check network data capability with the wireless mobile cell phone that you are using. For example, an iPhone 3GS is not going to be capable of using the high speed LTE data network because it is an older phone and is not engineered to use the newer and faster data networks.
4. Unlimited Everything Plan – Most people gravitate toward a plan that includes unlimited talk, text and data because they are using their cell phones very often. However, most people do not really pay attention to their actual usage, and they could possibly be leaving a bunch of money on the table. Before deciding on a brand new unlimited everything plan, take a look at a recent wireless phone bill and see exactly how much talk, text, and data you are actually using. Then compare these numbers to the new plan that you are looking at to see if you really need to pay all that money for a truly unlimited plan. You might actually be surprised as to how little you use the services that are paid to be unlimited.
5. Customer Service – Last, but not least, one should do some research on the service providers themselves in order to see what kind of customer service these companies are offering. It is never any fun to have a problem with your wireless service provider, and it is a lot less fun to have to call them only to find out that no one in their call center speaks your native language, and they don’t really have a good idea about how to help resolve your issues. Poor customer service can be a real deal breaker! Take some time to look at a company’s track record, do a few Google searches and take a look at a handful of genuine customer reviews.
Shopping for a wireless mobile cell phone service provider seems like a pretty cut and dry process on the surface, but there can be a lot of variables that will apply differently to each personal situation. When you are ready to switch service providers or upgrade your plan, I recommend taking the time to do the due diligence and find the one that works best for your situation and your location. There can be a lot of monetary savings coming back to you if you can find a service plan that is tailored to you and your personal usage.