Power cuts and voltage variations are one of the common problems of every industry. To fight back with the problem, transformers are the only solution that is used widely in the global industries. The device is ideal for supplying the constant supply of power and also regulating the rise and fall of the voltage supply. Transformers are the stroke of the luck for the industries which are facing the energy distribution and transmission troubles. An auto transformer is an electrical device which has only one winding. It gives you a higher supply of the voltage required for proper application of the device. It uses the principle of self-induction.
Advantages Of An Auto Transformer:-
- Less Costly: There is a huge range of the transformers available in the market and you need to choose the device for your application. But the auto transformer is known for its eco-friendly nature and affordable prices. They are actually cheaper in cost and high in performance.
- Compact Size: Every industry is concerned about the space availability for the device to be installed and they generally avoid bulkier, big devices for installation. The device is available in the market in a compact size which can give you better results with the smaller size. It is usually employed to increase the voltage requirement for the application.
- Voltage Regulation: The main aim of using the device is to regulate the voltage supply to provide the evenly distributed energy for the applications. The two winding device cost you more and there is more copper loss. However, auto transformers are the best at regulating voltage and less copper loss.
Application Usage Of An Auto Transformer:-
- Power Transmission And Distribution: The device is frequently used in power applications to interconnect the systems with each other and operating with different KVA sizing. Other than this, it is used to adapt the machinery built-in the industry. It is also employed to provide the constant supply of the voltage while providing the average voltage close to the source.
- Audio System: In the audio applications, the device is used to adapt the speakers to provide the steady voltage to the audio distribution system. It is also employed for matching the impedance.
Railways: The device is arranged to supply the steady power and are also used as the voltage regulator. It gives a small boost to the distribution cable and also corrects the drop. It is used to increase the voltage supply, but due to the single winding operation, it cannot step down the voltage supply.